Judith D. Cassel advises cannabis clients on all aspects of transactional and regulatory law including:
- contract negotiations and drafting
As a result of her MBA, JD, and past experience as a corporate executive and small business owner, Judith possesses an in-depth knowledge of business operations and management as such she has negotiated mergers and acquisitions, reorganized operations and refinanced distressed companies.
Judith is licensed to practice law in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, and Ohio.
- Represented Pennsylvania medical marijuana grower/processors and laboratory in challenging the Pennsylvania Department of Health’s regulation requiring two separate laboratories test cannabis product at the two separate testing phases. Green Analytics, LLC et al. v. Pa. Dept. of Health (Pa. Cmwlth. 2023). (Court ruling that the “Petitioners’ right to judgment is clear and … the Department’s regulation was invalid.”)
- Represented marijuana industry in challenge to Chapter 20 regulations in AES Compassionate Care, LLC et al. v. Levine (Pa. Cmwlth. 2018) (Department of Health’s Office of Medical Marijuana’s medical marijuana research permit regulations preliminarily enjoined as inconsistent with the statute and violative of delegation doctrine).
- Represented medical marijuana patient in challenge to county housing authority’s Section 8 determination based on patient’s medical marijuana use and subsequent appeal before the Commonwealth Court in Mary Cease v. Housing Auth. of Indiana Cty., Docket No. 519 CD 2019.
- Represented medical marijuana industry group in submission of amicus curiae brief to the Pennsylvania Supreme Court in McKelvey v. Pennsylvania Dep’t of Health et al., Docket Nos. 3 – 5 MAP 2020.
- Represented Cannabis Investment Fund in 2019 regulatory due diligence regarding construction and operational funding.
- Represented publicly traded international marijuana company in 2018 acquisition of Pennsylvania medical marijuana entity.
- Assisted clients in securing licenses in New Jersey’s adult-use program.
- Assisted clients in securing licenses in Illinois’ adult-use program.
- Assisted clients in securing licenses in Pennsylvania’s medical marijuana program.
- Assisted cannabis laboratories in accreditation and licensing in Pennsylvania and Ohio.
- Assisted clients in securing licenses in Ohio’s medical marijuana program.
- Assisted clients in securing licenses in West Virginia’s medical marijuana program.
- Assisted clients in securing licenses in Utah’s medical cannabis program.
- Assisted clients in securing licenses in Maryland’s medical marijuana program.
- Submitted comments to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, Docket No. FDA-2018-N-3685, “International Drug Scheduling; Convention on Psychotropic Substances; Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs” in support of the cannabis industry.
- Submitted comments to the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency’s proposed amendments of its regulations governing the bulk marijuana manufacturers program in Docket No. DEA-2020-0008.
- Submitted letter to U.S. Secretary of HUD on allowing medical marijuana patients as residents in Section 8 Housing
J.D., Dickinson School of Law of the Pennsylvania State University
M.B.A., Lebanon Valley College, magna cum laude
B.A., The Pennsylvania State University
Co-chair of the PBA Medical Marijuana & Hemp Law Committee for the 2022-2023 bar year
Adjunct Professor, Widener University Commonwealth Law School, Medical Marijuana course, Spring 2020
NORML, Legal Committee Member
National Cannabis Bar Association
Pennsylvania Bar Association
Lancaster Bar Association
Nurse Family Partnership Advisory Board, a Division of University of Pennsylvania’s Lancaster General Hospital
Law & Government Institute Advisory Board, Widener University Commonwealth Law School
PBA, Medical Marijuana & Hemp Law Committee, Legislative Subcommittee Leader
PBA, Public Utility Law Section, Council Member
Honors & Distinctions
Central Penn Business Journal’s Top 40 Under 40
Honors in Negotiations and Russian Business Law
NCAA Division I All-American and five-time record holder Track and Field Penn State
Disclaimers and Informed Consent in the Medical Marijuana Industry,THE LEGAL INTELLIGENCER, June 7, 2018.
Medical Marijuana as One Solution to the Opioid Epidemic in Pennsylvania,THE PENNSYLVANIA LAWYER, Jan/Feb 2018.
Pennsylvania creates ideal market for investors, MARIJUANA VENTURE, October 2016, at 144.
Global Confectionary Conference, Infusing Cannabis into Edibles (April 12, 2022)
Pennsylvania Paralegal Association, Update on Medical Marijuana (March 8, 2022).
Medical Marijuana and Hemp Symposium (September 9, 2021)
Medical Marijuana and Hemp Symposium (October 8, 2020)
Widener FDA Matters, Annual Food and Drug Law Conference (April 3, 2019)
Dauphin County Bar Association, Separating the Weed from the Chaff (Oct. 30, 2018)
Pennsylvania Bar Institute, The PA Medical Marijuana Industry: Year in Review (Aug. 17, 2018)
Cannabis Expertise, Pennsylvania 4-Hour Certification Course (2017-Present)
Medical Cannabis Educational Summit, “Energy Issues in the Growing Medical Marijuana Industry” (March 5, 2018)
Widener Commonwealth Law School, 2018 Transactional LawMeet (Feb. 23, 2018)
Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Next Steps for Medical Marijuana in PA: Evolving Issues in a Growing Industry (Oct. 25, 2017)
Lancaster Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies Conference, The Mother/Baby War on Opioids: Hope and Healing (Oct. 4, 2017)
Panel Member, WITF, Smart Talk, “Medical Cannabis” (July 26, 2017)
Lancaster Bar Association, “Planting the Seed: Legalities & Realities of Medical Marijuana in Pennsylvania” (June 13, 2017)
Widener Law Commonwealth, “Opioid Epidemic: Law and Policy” (Mar. 29, 2017)
Aleeza Furman, ‘All Things Marijuana’: Cannabis Law Attorneys in Pa.
Keeping Up With Ever-Changing Landscape, The Legal Intelligencer (Sep. 27, 2021).
Colin Deppen, One week into Pennsylvania’s medical marijuana sales, here’s what you need to know, The Incline (Feb. 23, 2018).
Bart Schaneman, Pennsylvania medical marijuana program on track, but legal issues loom, Marijuana Business Daily (October 3, 2017).
Omar Sacirbey, Bart Schaneman and John Schroyer, Week in Review: Massachusetts rec logjam, Pennsylvania MMJ grower licensees & Oregon testing woes, Marijuana Business Daily (June 23, 2017).
Bart Schaneman, New Market: Fierce competition for licenses in Pennsylvania’s emerging MMJ Program, Marijuana Business Daily (Feb. 9, 2017).